Bulverde Area Rural Library District
In January 2000 a special election established the Bulverde Area Rural Library District in the western portion of Comal County, funded by a ½ % sales tax, per Texas Local Government Code 326, which established Library Districts.
There is currently only one library in the District, the Mammen Family Public Library. The Library District does not receive any property taxes and only benefits if you shop in the western portion of Comal County.
Mission and Vision
The mission of the Bulverde Area Rural Library District (BARLD) is to promote literacy, inspire a lifelong love of learning, and support the arts, science and literary needs of our community.
Our vision is to provide access to valuable educational resources and learning opportunities, no matter what age or stage of life, in a safe and welcoming space.
BARLD Board Meeting
The BARLD Trustees meet monthly, normally on the 3nd Thursday of the month at 9:30am at the Mammen Family Public Library, 131 Bulverde Crossing, Bulverde, TX 78163.
Meetings are open to the public. The agenda will be posted on this webpage and in the library 72 hours prior to the meeting. The following meeting(s) are currently scheduled:
Thursday, August 18, 2022 9:30am – Regular meeting
If you need help, please call the library at 830.438.4864 during regular open hours. You will find current agendas and minutes posted on this page.
Contact the Board
- BARLD Public Policy
- BARLD Organization Documents
- Financial Policy and Disclosures
- MFP Library Monthly Reports
- BARLD Elections
- Strategic Plan
To request prior minutes or any records requests, please send a written request to the Library Director via email at email@example.com or by letter to 131 Bulverde Crossing, Bulverde, TX 78163.
The Mammen Family Public Library Director is hired by the BARLD Trustees to manage the day to day operations of the library. Here you will find monthly reports on those operations.
- Our five Board of Trustees are elected to two-year staggered terms.
- Candidates for election must have resided within the Bulverde Area Rural Library District for at least 6 months, must be 18 years of age before the election, must be registered to vote, and must comply with other qualifications for holding public office as outlined in Election Code 141.001.
- The Texas Secretary of State website has more information about political subdivision candidacy.
- The election will be held on Tuesday, November 8, in conjunction with Comal County. If the number of candidates does not exceed the number of positions open, the election will be canceled.
- Notice of Deadline to file for a place on the Ballot (updated each June)
- Application Applications for 2022 are accepted from July 23, 2022 through August 22, 2022. Signed and notarized applications may be filed at the Mammen Family Public Library, 131 Bulverde Crossing, Bulverde, TX 78163 to the attention of Susan Herr. Library staffed hours are 9am-7pm, Monday-Thursday, 10am-6pm Friday, 10am-2pm Saturday, except holidays. Signed and notarized applications may also be sent by mail or emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org) and must be received by August 22,2022 at 5pm.
In November 2022 three Trustee positions will be up for election.
First Day to File for a Place on the General Election Ballot – Saturday, July 23, 2022
Last Day to File for a Place on the General Election Ballot – Monday, August 22, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
In 2016 the BARLD Trustees commissioned a 10 year Master Facilities plan and in 2018 initiated the first phase of the plan, expanding the existing facility. The 2018-2019 expansion/renovation was funded through bonds from an interlocal agreement with Comal County and was complete in September 2019.